JEM and I both got home early tonight but started right in on doing lots of back up work. We decided to whip up a yummy fire roasted tomato and red pepper chili. It was a first but definitely has been added to list of family recipes.
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered and de-seeded
- extra virgin olive oil
- 10 Roma tomatoes, halved (Or 1 14-oz cans fire-roasted tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 spice y sausages, remove skin
- 1 13.5-oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 8oz can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cut the Roma’s in half
- Quarter and de-seed the red pepper
- Place cut tomatoes and red peppers (on tin foil) on baking sheet.
- Drizzle EVOO on all veggies.
- Place under broiler until blackened.
- In a large chili pot, add tomatoes, beans, onion and pepper.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 5 mins (until the onion is translucent and the beans are tender).
- Add sausage (preferably de-cased), tomato paste, garlic and spices.
- Simmer until the meat is cooked (**This turns out very thick, so we added ~1 c. water to get the consistency to where we like it)