…sounds like the beginning of a bad joke. Wonderfully, DC had its first snow day today and just in time for my birthday! I brought tons of work home to do but instead JEM went out to a birthday lunch and then I did some serious baking.
My baking from scratch recipe list is pretty limited but I can make a mean apple pie, banana bread, and Uncle Pete’s Dessert (a pudding-y goodness concoction that is all together awful for you but sooo good). We had 6 bananas that were about to turn into compost so I searched and found these recipes on For the Love of Cooking.net.
Banana Cinnamon Cookies
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of mashed bananas, about 3 small bananas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Pull out a non-stick baking sheet (or a sticky one and coat with Pam)
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla
- Continue to beat until the mixture is well combined.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl with the baking soda. Let sit for 2 minutes. (This gives the cookies their lift.)
- Mix the banana mixture into the butter mixture.
- Mix together the flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add to the butter and banana mixture then stir until just mixed.
- Drop by the spoonful onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
- Let cool on wire racks.
Like I’ve said, I’ve never really done baking from scratch. All the cookies I’ve done are Tollhouse and generally the pre-made stuff that you just need to drop onto a cookies sheet. I ALWAYS over cook them and they come out flat and crunchy. These are exactly the opposite, fluffy and moist–SO good.
Banana, Blueberry, Lemon Muffins
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups of blueberries
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest, divided
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a muffin tray with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest together in a small bowl.
- Beat together the bananas, eggs, brown sugar, melted butter, lemon juice, and vanilla until well blended. (Probably easier if you have an electric blender, I don’t but it worked just as well to do it by hand.)
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Carefully add 1 cup of blueberries and gently mix together.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray.
- Sprinkle the remaining blueberries evenly over the tops of each muffin (push them down a bit).
- Combine the sugar and remaining tablespoon of lemon zest together and sprinkle evenly on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes or until a knife (or toothpick) comes out clean.
- Let cook on a wire rack.