It was taco night and who doesn’t love taco’s? Well we had ground turkey AND we had some flank steak that was calling our names. So we made both and had way more taco fixin’s than 3 people should ever have. The flank steak turned out fantastic. So fantastic only JEM put it in taco’s, AbEm and I ate it on its own without all the extras. It is so simple to make and so very very good.
- flank steak
- 1 1/2 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbs green onion (optional)
- tabasco to taste (optional)
- Score the steak.
- If you didn’t buy a clean piece of steak you will need to clean it- this means cutting off as much fat, skin, and veins that you can. Not removing as much excess can leave you with a tougher piece of meat.
- Mix the soy sauce, olive oil, thyme, lemon, onion, and tabasco.
- Put the steak in a plastic zip lock bag (for easy clean up) or into a sealable dish.
- Pour in the marinade, make sure the marinade hits every part of the steak.
- Store in refrigerator for about 4 hours (or as close to it as possible!)
- Grill for 4-5 minutes total (2.5 mins per side). Keep a close eye on it, this is a thin cut of meat and will cook very quickly.
- Let rest for 10 mins before cooking. This will help them meat retain some of it yummy juices.
- Cut on the diagonal, across the grain, about 1/4 inch slices. This is very important-cutting the meat wrong will lead to tough pieces that you won’t want to eat.