Earlier this summer, we’ve planted 3 basil plants that have really taken off. We have a lot of basil, definitely more than we can use for just the 2 of us. I made a test run of homemade pesto, it turned out fantastic so I am definitely going to make another bigger batch to freeze.
Ingredients for Small Batch
- small bunch basil leaves (~1 cup)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic chopped (depending on how much you like garlic)
- 1/6-1/4 cup of macadamia nuts (most people use pine nuts but they were way to expensive at the grocery store)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- Wash the basil leaves with water, dry in colander.
- Place basil leaves, nuts of choice, and salt into food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the chopped garlic and the parmesan to the food processor. Pulse till combined.
- Add the olive oil and pulse till joined (the longer you run it, the smoother it will be).