Last night we were going to grill pork, make garlicy green beans, and corn bread. The green beans were a bust- a few bad ones spoiled the bag so we had to resort to a bean and corn salsa for our veggie. The corn bread turned out FANTASTIC, it is so light and airy. Fresh out of the oven it didn’t need any extra butter, this morning it still doesn’t need anything extra. This recipe doesn’t have a strong corn flavor. If you want it to taste more like corn, increase the amount of corn flour and decrease the amount of regular flour.
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar (I made it a short cup and the bread still turned out sweet, next time I may use even less, say 2/3 cup)
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the eggs and milk.
- In yet another small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt
- Alternating, add the egg mixture and the flour mixture to the butter sugar mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares; serve warm.