This recipe is amazingly good and amazingly unhealthy. It’s a recipe that I brought with me from home, though Mom doesn’t have it so I’m not sure where I originally found it. You shouldn’t mess too much with the ingredients in baking recipes like you can with cooking recipes, baking is more about chemistry than cooking it. So this post is the original recipe in all its unhealthy glory. As I made the bread tonight I adjusted the measurements of the sugar and the oil to make it slightly healthier, if it turns out just as good I will update with a “better-for-you” recipe.
Note: this will make 2 loaves.
- 3 c. flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 c. fine sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 c. vegetable oil**
- 2 peeled, cored, and chopped apples (I always use 3 but it’s a lot of apple.)
- Preheat oven to 350*
- If needed oil bread pan (don’t do this on non-stick pans!!)
- Mix the dry (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon) ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix the wet (sugar, eggs, vanilla, oil) ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir till joined.
- Add the chopped apples and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into bread pan.
- Cook for 60 mins (1 hr).